Physiotherapy for Brain Injury
People who have suffered from a brain injury will benefit from specialist neurological physiotherapy.
The brain is a dynamic structure and has the ability to adapt and recover following injury. Physiotherapy treatment should therefore commence as soon as possible as so that significant improvements can be made. Every person with a brain injury presents differently so physiotherapy treatment will be suited to your needs and goals.
Specialist neurological physiotherapists advise and support you throughout your rehabilitation programme restoring you potential and will focus on:
- Promote normal movement in the arms, legs and trunk by teaching your new ways of doing activities.
- Increase muscle strength
- Increase muscle length and relieve muscle and joint stiffness and improve your mobility
- Regain motor function through repetitive exercise
- Increase range of movement
- Promote balance and posture
- Improve functional abilities such as transfers
- Promote positioning and comfort in lying, sitting and standing
- Increase stamina and exercise tolerance
- Advise you on the use of walking aids, splints, supports and home equipment to make your life easier.
- Prevent risk of falling
- Promoting independence with everyday tasks
- Increase confidence and sense of well being
- Improving quality of life
During your initial assessment short and long term rehabilitation goals will be developed to help you achieve your fullest physical capacity.